In a world where our supermarkets are stocked (or these days not) with exciting fruit and veg around the world, it is easy to forget where it came from and how it got to your plate. Our modern lifestyles have made us loose touch with locally grown food.
- Thrifty! Locally sourced produce takes away travelling expenses and storage. The production costs are reduced which are not passed onto the consumer.
- Sustainable! Food transport, packaging and processing make up 6% of CO2 emissions from rich countries. Local, seasonal food means lower emissions.
- Healthier! Fruits and vegetables that are stored for long periods of time due to transportation or to be used at a later date have a reduction in nutrient content. Locally sourced foods don’t!
- Delicious! When fruits and vegetables are picked for consumption that have been naturally ripened on the vine or the tree and harvested at the right time, it will have much more flavour and nutrition.
- And supports your local community! The money that is spent with local farmers and growers all stays close to home and is reinvested with businesses and services in your community.
Here is what is available in October!
Leave a Reply