In a world where our supermarkets are stocked with exciting fruit and veg around the world, it is easy to forget where it came from, when it was grown and how it got to your plate. Our modern lifestyles have made us lose touch with locally grown food!
Buying fresh produce that’s in season not only means that you’ll be enjoying fruit and veggies at their peak, but it also helps the environment and local economy.
What’s in season for May?
- Jersey royal potatoes
Why is it important to eat local, seasonal produce?
- Thrifty! Locally sourced produce takes away travelling expenses and storage. The production costs are reduced which are not passed onto the consumer.
- Sustainable! Food transport, packaging and processing make up 6% of CO2 emissions from rich countries. Local, seasonal food means lower emissions.
- Healthier! Fruits and vegetables that are stored for long periods of time due to transportation or to be used at a later date have a reduction in nutrient content. Locally sourced foods don’t!
- Delicious! When fruits and vegetables are picked for consumption that have been naturally ripened on the vine or the tree and harvested at the right time, it will have much more flavour and nutrition.
- And supports your local community! The money that is spent with local farmers and growers all stays close to home and is reinvested with businesses and services in your community.
If you’re looking for some delicious recipes that use seasonal ingredients for May, check out some of our top picks below: