This week it’s Zero Waste Week so here are a few tips to get you started.
Did you know?
The UK uses 7 million disposable coffee cups every day.
By 2050 there could be more plastic in our oceans than fish.
It can take over 2,000 litres of water to make a t-shirt, from growing the cotton to the dyeing process.
How to fight food waste?
- Audit your food cupboards – Check what food items you have at home and their expiry dates. Prioritize the use of items that have a short date to avoid waste.
- Download the Kitche App – Kitche helps keep track of what is in your pantry and provides recipe ideas to use the item you already have to avoid waste.
- Store and freeze food correctly – The Love Food Hate Waste website has a wealth of information on how to store and freeze food. They also have new recipes to try to avoid food waste Food Waste Recipes (lovefoodhatewaste.com)
- Recycle your food waste: If you don’t already, start to recycle your unavoidable food waste – you can order a food waste recycling caddy here Food waste recycling | Ealing Council
Have you tried these?
- Recycle small electrical items in collection banks across Ealing borough. Electrical and electronic items recycling Ealing Council
- Donate your unwanted textiles to charity – Traid (Home collections) and Salvation Army (Banks)
- Switch up plastic bottles such as shower gel, shampoo and conditioner for plastic free bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner.
- Use Real Nappies rather than disposable nappies. (Only dispose of nappies in your refuse container.They cannot be recycled)
- Sign up for a library card at your local Ealing library. Library cards are free for residents and can be obtained in your local library or online. Join a library | Join a library | Ealing Council
- Pop along to Reduce and Recycle hub at Acton Market on first Saturday of the month: 2 Sep, 7 Oct, 4 Nov and 2 Dec 2023.
Other useful apps include:
- Too Good To Go lists local food from retailers to pick up and save it from going to waste
- Freegle to pass on unwanted items or request needed items
- Olio to pass on your unwanted food and other items
- Refill lists water refill places including water fountains in the borough.
Please use the recycling map to find out where you can recycle www.ealing.gov.uk/recyclingmap
For more information and resources please visit https://www.zerowasteweek.co.uk/