The monthly Acton Market Reduce and Recycle hub returns on Saturday 4th November. Our hub will be at Acton market has lots of great organisations and businesses to help people in Acton to reduce, reuse and recycle.
We’ve got a waste problem here in London. The good news is that we can tackle it through prevention, reuse and recycling. Acton Reduce and Recycle hub is here to help.
Did you know?
- Recycling a single plastic bottle can conserve enough energy to light a 60W light bulb for up to 6 hours
- For clothing the UK has the highest consumption of new clothes in Europe. The average lifetime for a piece of clothing is estimated to be 2.2 years. This leads to around 300,000 tonnes of used clothes either being burned or sent to landfills on an annual basis.
- Electronic waste is one of the highest in Europe where the UK generates 23.9kg per capita, second only to Norway.
- Recycling our old electricals would cut as much CO2 as taking 1.3 million cars off the road
- In the UK, the majority of people will handle over 50 types of packaging every day
- Brits spend nearly £5 million each week on batteries, yet 98% of them are not recycled and end up in landfills
- More Facts at Recycle More
The more we can reduce, reuse, repair and recycle the less waste we will produce.
At our monthly Reduce and Recycle hub at MarketW3 you can:
Bring along your unloved and old:
- Clothing, Shoes, Small electrical appliances for donation to TRAID www.traid.org.uk
- Laptops for donation
- Pens and writing instruments
- Toothbrushes and other dental items
Make things last longer by
- Learning to fix your Clothes with Ealing Repair Café www.ealingrepaircafe.org
- Get your Bikes checked with Dr Bike (2 pm-5 pm)
- Book Swap – Bring a book and take a book, with Churchfield Community Association
- Find out how to make draft excluders out of old jeans with Traid and Ealong Repair cafe to keep the warmth in and and heating bills lower!
- Shop at our pre-loved traders or with our stall holders many who sell returns and seconds from the high street at a reduced price choose from sportswear, womenswear and menswear.
Plus there’s more: Our tasty local foodie stalls will be onsite so you can sample the flavours of Ghana, India and Lebanon.
So, come along and grab a bargain, knowing you will be helping reducing waste as well as saving money.
Reduce and Recycle Hub achievements
At the Reduce and Recycle hub we have so far:
- 408kg of unwanted clothes and shoes saved from landfill by Traid, which reduced carbon emissions (CO2) by 8.15 tonnes and water savings of 649m3.
- 99 kgs of small electrical items collected which will be recycled.
If your organisation, community group or as a trader are interested in getting a stall or can volunteer to help run some of the hub activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org