Faith for the Climate, an inter-faith network, which aims to encourage, inspire and equip faith communities in their work on climate change have a whole range of events taking place in the lead-up to, and during, COP26.
Largest-ever faith divestment announcement
Five days before COP26 begins in Glasgow, 72 faith institutions, including 37 from the UK, announced their divestment from fossil fuels.
Participating institutions include the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Scotland; the Central Finance Board of the Methodist Church; 15 Catholic dioceses in the UK and Ireland; and the Church of England Dioceses of Truro and Sodor & Man. The UK Churches and dioceses involved in this announcement represent nearly 2,000 local churches.
You can read more about the global divestment announcement here: https://brightnow.org.uk/news/global-faith-divestment-announcement-cop26/
COP26 events and actions
Their Calendar contains the many inspiring events faith groups have organised during COP26 – in and outside of Glasgow and online. The Climate Fringe website also has lots of good info. In-person and online events include:
- The COP26 Vigil on Sunday 31 October
- The global Day of Action on Saturday 6 November. The action is global and UK-wide, with an emphasis on Glasgow. They are aiming for a strong presence in London too so, f you have supporters/members/communities based in London, you can:
- Check out other faith-inspired happenings in and outside of Glasgow and online, including:
Things to help Faith for the Climate with the post-Glasgow blues and beyond:
- Volunteer for Khalifahs of the Earth – Islamic Help’s long-term climate justice project
- Find out more about the New Economics Foundation’s Great Homes Upgrade campaign
- Sign up for the free online training by Possible and Hope for the Future, Your Voice Heard: Engage your MP on Climate Change, on Tuesday 23 November or Thursday 25 November.