If you have some time off work, university, or school over the festive period, have a look at these brilliant, free, events taking place right on your doorstep. The team over at Boston Manor Park will be hosting a range of activities that encourage a greater connection with nature and our local environment. Get your New Years resolution off to a good start by getting outdoors and kicking off 2022 with some local activities!
If you plan to attend any of the events listed below, please email Park Manager Vanessa Hampton (Vanessa.Hampton@lampton360.co.uk) to help the team manage numbers.
Thursday 30 December, 10.30 – 12:00: Winter Nature Walk
Join Natural Park Manager, Vanessa on a relaxed, guided walk through the park – the landscape may look dormant but there’s still lots to see in our varied habitats.
All ages and dogs welcome. Meet on main park lawn by the house.
Friday 7 January, 10:00 – 13.00: Conservation Task Day
Join Vanessa in working in the wetland meadow area. We’ll be digging out and transplanting a number of wetland plants to put them aside prior to the wetland scrapes creation works. Wear clothes and sturdy boots or shoes suitable for working outdoors.
Ages 14yrs and over. Meet on the main park lawn.
Saturday 8 January, 10.30 – 12:00: Winter Tree Walk
Join Vanessa on a fun walk to find out about and identify our native and most common tree species in the park. You can be a tree detective and use clues such as bark, seeds and buds to see if you can identify the trees.
All ages and dogs welcome. Meet on the main park lawn.
Saturday 29 January, 8.30 –10:00: Bird Walk and Survey
This weekend we’re contributing to the RSPBs Big Garden Birdwatch an annual, nationwide survey of birds. Join Vanessa for a walk around the park, woodland and meadow to survey and record the different bird species we see in the park. No experience necessary. Bring binoculars if you have them.
No dogs allowed. Meet on main park lawn.
Saturday 29 January, 10.30 –13.30: Conservation Task Day
We’ll be making more deadwood habitats in the woodland, such as dead hedges, stumperies and loggeries. You’ll be using cutting, sawing and digging tools. Wear clothes and sturdy boots or shoes suitable for working outdoors.
Ages 14yrs and over welcome. Meet on main park lawn.
As the rates of Covid-19 are again rising, it is important to note the following:
- Please do not attend an event if you or anyone in your household has Covid symptoms, or you have been asked to self-isolate.
- All events will go ahead subject to current govt. guidelines. You can email Park Manager Vanessa on Vanessa.Hampton@lampton360.co.uk to check if an event is happening. You should presume it is going ahead if you don’t hear anything.
- Please let Vanessa know if you plan to attend any of the events from end Dec through Jan to help manage numbers. Numbers may need to be capped if there are lots planning to attend – but not as yet.
- All events are outside. You may be asked to maintain social distance from other people not in your household.
- You may feel more comfortable wearing a mask if there are larger numbers of people, so it is recommended that you bring one.
- Hand sanitiser will be available at events where tools or materials are used (e.g. conservation days and Winter Tree ID walk).